The church dates back to the 19th century. Stephen Rumbold Lushington, the then Governor of Madras, who keenly felt the need for a church in Ooty exclusively for the British, laid the foundation for the church on 23 April 1829, to coincide with the birthday of King George IV. St. Stephen's Church was consecrated by John Matthias Turner, Bishop of Calcutta, on 5 November 1830. It was opened to the public communion on Easter Sunday 3 April 1831. It came under the Church of South India in 1947. The architect incharge was John James Underwood, Captain, Madras Regiment.