Chamundi Hills

Chamundi Hills

  • image

The Chamundeshwari Temple, atop Chamundi Hills, is the temple of the patron Goddess of Wodeyars, Chamundeshwari, an incarnation of Goddess Parvathi. This temple can be dated back to the 11th century. The temple was renovated in the year 1827 by the Kings of Mysore.

There is a statue of demon king Mahishasura in front of Chamundeshwari Temple. It is believed that the name Mysore was derived from Mahishooru (the city of Mahishasura), which later became ‘Mysooru’ or ‘Mysore’.

There is a huge monolith idol of Nandi – the bull, at the Bull Temple, which is situated half way up the Chamundi Hills. The statue of Nandi, which is about 5 meter high, was carved out of single black-granite in the year 1659. The Nandi at this Bull Temple is one among the largest statues of Nandi in India. 

There are also minor shrines on the way which are dedicated to Chamundeshwari and Hanuman. Tourists also enjoy the panoramic view of Mysore from the summit of Chamundi Hills.

Timing: 7.30 am - 2:00 pm
             3.30 pm – 6.00 pm